Accused claims to have alibi AND video footage

0
79
Advertisements

Thando Shuba was arrested after being accused of the murder of six people in Khayelitsha. The 35-year-old made a brief appearance before the Khayelitsha Magistrate’s court regarding the killings in Enaknini informal settlement.

The accused was charged with the murder of six people

Shuba has been charged with six counts of murder. The mass killing of six people on 20 March was a shock to the community. Minister of Police Bheki Cele was prompted to assign more officers to the area since the heinous crime was committed.

It was reported that nine people had been drinking together outside a property on Lindela Road. Three unknown suspects appeared and opened fire, reports IOL. Six out of the nine people were killed.

ALSO READ: Mass in Khayelitsha killing takes lives of two women and four men

The South African Police Services confirmed that an investigation is continuing and that two suspects are being sought after for the murder. In the meantime, the focus seems to be on Shuba.

Shuba allegedly has video footage and an alibi

Shuba’s representative is Phindile Vepile. According to reports, Vepile told the court that the accused had an alibi. Outside the Khayelitsha’ Magistrate’s Court, Vepile stated that Shuba is innocent. He added that he has video footage to support Shuba’s claims of having an alibi.

Magistrate Yusuf Kamedien told the accused that he needs to confirm his alibi before a bail application could continue. He explained that the State needs to corroborate said alibi to determine the alibi, the case must be withdrawn.

While Magistrate Yusuf spoke about the alibi, the State revealed that witness accounts of the incident placed Shuba at the scene. 

Spokesperson for the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) Eric Ntabazalila stated that Shuba’s case has been postponed to 4 April to confirm bail information. He also stated that this was done to verify the accused’s alibi.

Khayelitsha shooting: Mother of victim, 23, pleads for justice

SAPS are still searching for the gunmen who shot and killed six people in Khayelitsha. The mass shooting shocked the community as the group of people, all in their 20s, succumbed to their injuries.

On Monday, 21 March, detectives made their way back to the scene of the crime. The investigation continued as community members gathered around the area where the bodies were found by law enforcement officials. A woman who lives close to the area where the shooting occurred was relieved that she was not caught in the crossfire.

The mother of a 23-year-old who was shot and killed spoke about the incident. She said she was shocked at the death of her daughter. She pleaded with SAPS to continue investigating the matter. Read the full story here.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here