Johnny Depp declaring himself to be a victim of domestic abuse in court at the hands of his spouse may have been a difficult admission to make.
But even though it’s often seen as taboo, the Hollywood actor has brought awareness to the fact that men can be abused by women.
ALSO READ: Johnny Depp vs Amber Heard trial: Elon Musk will NOT testify
JOHNNY DEPP ABUSED BY AMBER HEARD, COURT HEARS
Johnny Depp and his ex-wife Amber Heard are currently embroiled in a very public court $100 million case of defamation against each other.
In return, the Aquaman actress is counter-suing her ex after his legal team branded her Washington Post op-ed – in which she described herself as a “public figure representing domestic abuse” – as an “elaborate hoax”.
But whilst the court has heard of Amber’s allegations that Depp assaulted her on numerous occasions, it has also heard the reverse.
According to testimonies heard in court, Johnny Depp claims their verbal arguments would lead “to physical violence” on Amber’s part.
The court heard how:
- Amber would have “violent tantrums” and would allegedly hurl pots, bottles, and burning candles at the actor.
- Johnny severed his finger after Amber allegedly threw a broken vodka bottle at him.
- Johnny providing photographic evidence of his own bruised and battered face following Amber’s alleged attacks.
In a voice recording played in court, Amber is heard saying: “Tell the world, Johnny. Tell them Johnny Depp, I, Johnny Depp, a man, I’m a victim too of domestic violence”.
To which the star replied: “Yes. I am.”
He added in court: “The only person I’ve abused in my life is myself”.
ALSO READ: No prob-llama! Johnny Depp fan shows ’emotional support’ with furry pets
OTHER MALE CELEBS WHO WERE ABUSED BY WOMEN
Johnny Depp is neither the first nor likely to be the last man who has allegedly experienced domestic abuse at the hands of women.
Over the years, a number of male celebs have spoken out about their own experiences.
- In his memoir Greenlights, Matthew McConaughey admitted to being “forced” into sex with a woman as a teenage boy.
- Throughout their tumultuous relationship, Bobby Brown claims he was assaulted multiple times by his late ex-wife Whitney Houston.
- In 2013, actress Emma Roberts was arrested for domestic abuse after violently assaulting her actor boyfriend Evan Peters.
- In 1988, Lionel Richie was beaten by his ex-wife Brenda after she caught him with another woman. Brenda was arrested for spousal abuse.