According to a report in the Daily Mail earlier this month, Greenwood was expected “within days” whether he will face rape charges, with police expected to soon submit a report to the Crown Prosecution Service over the case. However, there has been no further feedback or information provided by the police… until now.
On Friday, it was confirmed that police have applied to the courts to extend his bail, which was set to expire this weekend.
Furthermore, a hearing to make a decision on whether or not he will be charged now won’t be heard until mid-June in all likelihood.
Greater Manchester Police said: “We are continuing to investigate a report made to us on Sunday 30 January of online social media images and videos posted by a woman reporting incidents of physical violence.
“A 20-year-old man arrested that day on suspicion of the rape and assault of a woman, and threats to kill, remains on bail.
“An application has been made to the courts to have his bail extended beyond Saturday 30 April, but the hearing isn’t expected to be until mid-June.
“The suspect will remain on conditional bail until the date of the court hearing.”
There has previously little further information that has been made public, and the only real certainty is that Greenwood remains indefinitely suspended by Manchester United until the police clarify its position on the case.
READ | MASON GREENWOOD CASE GOES QUIET: BUT HERE’S WHAT WE KNOW!
The Manchester United and England striker has been under investigation over allegations of “domestic abuse” and “sexual assault”, which came to light after shocking social media stories were posted on the account of one-time girlfriend Harriet Robson at the end of January.
Greenwood was arrested, and eventually released on bail, but not before further charges were levelled against him based “on suspicion of sexual assault and threats to kill”.
Recently, talk started to do the rounds on social media suggesting that he could soon be set to return to training with United, but these rumours have been quickly refuted by reliable sources.
Greenwood was one of United’s key players before the controversy, and according to the Telegraph, interim manager Ralf Rangnick believed the 20-year-old was a top talent when it came to raw ability and “application on the pitch”. The report further states that Rangnick believe the youngster could be “moulded” into a superstar.
Greenwood has now missed more than 15 matches for Man United, and there is no sign of a return any time soon, with the playmaker last featuring for the Red Devils when he started in the 1-0 win over West Ham on 22 January.
United have reaffirmed their “strong condemnation” of violence after he was arrested, although the club are still said to be paying his full salary (reported to be £75,000-a-week) as the police investigation continues.
It will be interesting to see what stance Erik ten Hag takes as he steps into the new role as United’s manager. Whether or not the police decide to prosecute Greenwood, the 52-year-old manager may not want to risk any divisive presence in the squad.
CONFIRMED: MANCHESTER UNITED APPOINT ERIK TEN HAG AS NEW MANAGER
Speaking to The Sun, a source recently stated the following in reference to Greenwood: “He’s still on bail but things are at an advanced stage. The police and CPS are currently discussing if there is a case or not to bring against him. There comes a point where a decision has to be made and things have reached that point.”
Greenwood’s bail was set to expire on 30 April, but it will be extended. Greenwood has not spoken publicly since the story broke, but he was recently pictured for the first time since he was arrested, while a video has now emerged showing him being taunted by a ‘fan’.
A video shows a man seemingly shouting comments such as “quarantine” and “sh***y a**e” at Greenwood, who is is clearly exasperated by the interaction, and seemingly swipes his hand for the man to leave him alone.
If the video below doesn’t play, you can click here to watch it.
@simpshooter Greenwood confronted by traveller first time in public since the allegations #travellers #traveller #foryou #fyp #gypsy #bareknuckle #calthedragon #premierleague #premierleague #chelsea #masongreenwood #manchesterunited #manutd ♬ original sound – SimpShooter
READ | HARRIET ROBSON, MASON GREENWOOD CASE: WHO HAS SAID WHAT SO FAR!
Recently, there has been some social media debate over the fact that his profile was still visible on the club’s website, but this month United have reiterated that Greenwood’s status at the club remains unchanged.
“There has been no change whatsoever in Mason’s status,” the club said.
“We removed his profile from the club app soon after he was removed from the squad in January. This was in order to remove Mason from interactive elements of the app, such as team predictions etc.
“However, his profile was never removed from the website as he remains a Manchester United player, albeit not currently part of the squad while the legal process unfolds.”
Greenwood has not spoken publicly since the story broke, while there has also been no word from his legal representatives
Once an active user of Instagram, with 2.8million followers to his name, the youngster has not made a post since 25 January.
READ | HARRIET ROBSON SHARES FIRST MESSAGE SINCE ARREST OF GREENWOOD