PSL provides key update on latest charges against Kaizer Chiefs

0
68
Advertisements

The new charges against Chiefs were confirmed by PSL prosecutor Zola Majavu at the beginning of April, which related to the fielding of two ineligible players, said to have taken place during Chiefs’ 2-0 win over Sekhukhune United in December.

READ | BREAKING: AGENT GIVES UPDATE ON SIPHO MBULE’S SITUATION

“Kaizer Chiefs Football Club has been charged with fielding two defaulters, namely Aden McCarthy and Mduduzi Shabalala in the match between themselves and Sekhukhune United on 12 December 2021,” PSL prosecutor Zola Majavu said in a statement at the time.

“These players were not properly registered for purposes of the DStv Premiership league but were registered for purposes of the reserve league. That is the basis for the allegations they are facing.”

The matter had been set down for a hearing in mid-January, with the PSL DC then set to announce an outcome once a verdict has been delivered.

However, it’s now been confirmed that although Amakhosi have since appeared before the committee, the matter has been postponed to 13 May 2022.

“I confirm that earlier today [Monday], Kaizer Chiefs appeared before the PSL DC to answer to charges of fielding two ineligible players who were originally registered for the DStv Diski Challenge, however, they were used in a fixture between Chiefs and Sekhukhune United,” Majavu said, as reported by KickOff.com.

“The case has been postponed to 13 May 2022, for final arguments and on that day, under the direction of the panel, the matter must be finalised. What will then be outstanding will be a judgment, which will be reserved, mindful of the fact that the season is drawing to an end.”

Chiefs are no strangers to controversy this season

Already, there is an ongoing dispute over the two league matches that Chiefs missed against Golden Arrows and Cape Town City towards the end of last year due to a widespread Covid-19 outbreak at their headquarters in Naturena. Those games are now set to be replayed after a key arbitration decision.

The ongoing saga involving Kaizer Chiefs and the Premier Soccer League is expected to be set down for a court date on 10 May, but before then, a key directive was passed down.

READ | JUST IN: CHIEFS MATCHES WILL BE REPLAYED REGARDLESS OF HEARING

In short, the two missed matches will go ahead and be replayed even as the matter remains unresolved. Depending on the outcome of the legal proceedings, if it goes in favour of Chiefs, then the results of the two replayed matches will stand.

However, if the league is successful in its review application, the log will be adjusted to reflect the outcome “as if the matches had not been played”.

However, it led to a backlash from Cape Town City chairman John Comitis, who will also appear before the disciplinary committee to answer to charges of bringing the game into disrepute after criticising the decision to replay the matches.

“The second confirmation is that Mr John Comitis will appear before the DC this coming Friday on 29 April to answer to charges of bringing the league into disrepute based on some media utterances attributable to him, which he subsequently confirmed as having been true and accurate,” Majavu added.

READ | NEW DETAILS EMERGE AS KAIZER CHIEFS ‘AGREE’ DEAL FOR SECOND SIGNING!

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here