Zikalala says parts of KZN still without water, work is ongoing

0
61
Advertisements

KwaZulu-Natal premier Sihle Zikalala acknowledged ongoing complaints about areas in KZN still not having water. During a media briefing on Tuesday, 3 May, Zikalala explained that water and electricity had been restored in a number of areas.

Premier Zikalala provides updates on water restoration in areas within KZN

He addressed the media after a site visit in which he viewed the progress of repairs to infrastructure just south of Durban. The premier acknowledged that some flood-hit areas in Durban either have no access to water or are battling with an irregular supply.

He shared that Nagina, Clearwater, Ntshongweni, Ntshangwe and Zwelibomvu are still without water. Zikalala explained that repairs to the south coast pipeline had been completed and that residents up to Umkomaas are able to access water.

Zikalala said teams have worked throughout the night in order to repair the piple that supplies water to Prince Mshiyeni Hospital and surrounding areas. He added that water from this pipeline should be supplying the area by the end of business on 3 May.

“Government is attending to all service delivery complaints reported and we urge community members to be patient and desist from blocking roads as this delays the full restoration of services,”

Sihle Zikalala, KZN Premier

Work on roads, electricity and temporary homes are ongoing

Speaking about his visit, Zikalala explained that the purpose is to assess progress in infrastructure, regarded as critical, returning to normal.

The SA National Roads Agency (Sanral) has begun temporary construction of a detour on the N2 in uMkhomazi and Umgababa. 

“This will allow flow of traffic from the south to the north which has been blocked since the floods. Sanral estimates the construction of the detour will be complete by this coming Friday. This will soon be followed by permanent construction of the damaged roads which Sanral will pronounce on shortly,”

Zikalala said.

KZN floods, floods in KwaZulu-Natal, KZN Premier Sihle Zikalala, areas without water, pipeline repairs, temporary housing, displaced families
While KZN is still reeling through the aftermath of the devastating floods, Premier Sihle Zikalala provided a detailed update on the work in progress. Photo: GCIS / Flickr

In terms of electricity, Zikalala said that power has been restored to a number of areas in Durban. Speaking on the construction of temporary homes, Zikalala says this is underway for families that were displaced during the floods.

“Throughout our districts and eThekwini, we are clearing temporary shelters such as halls and other government buildings as we return communities to their homes or temporary residential units (TRUs). While we continue with the construction of TRUs, our focus is to accommodate more than 4,396 families in halls, churches and schools.”

said Zikalala.

While Government reprioritised R1 billion for disaster relief interventions in KZN, Zikalala says more than R1.9 billion is needed for work to be completed.

ALSO READ: No other funds will be allocated to KZN for floods this year – Treasury

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here